The Ellison School provides an educational foundation unlike any other – one that is rooted in academics, and in the values of community, leadership, self esteem, and cultural diversity. Since its doors opened in 1959, Ellison teachers and staff have dedicated themselves to preparing students to succeed – in school and in life. From Ellison, students attend some of the most prestigious high school and universities in the nation – and they not only succeed, but lead.
The Ellison School’s unique approach to teaching inspires self-reliance, responsibility, critical thinking, and a respect for ethical and moral values. Ellison students benefit from small class sizes and individualized attention and are encouraged to achieve their personal best. Students develop solid skills in reading, writing, public speaking, mathematics, computer technology, foreign languages, science, and critical thinking. Along the way, teachers encourage creativity, teamwork, good sportsmanship, and individual excellence.
The Vineland Elementary School opened its doors in 1959 in a small building on the corner of Grape Street and East Avenue with seven students in grades one through three. While the size of the student body was small, the dreams of the founding families were big. Their goal was to offer an innovative program that promoted individualized instruction in a nurturing environment blind to economic and social lines. The school was welcomed by the community and the student body almost tripled in its second year with the addition of a fourth grade. At this time, the tiny school also underwent a name change to honor the generous support of its first benefactor, Mr. George M. Ellison.
By the 1964 – 1965 school year, the 47 students now enrolled in grades kindergarten through six had exceeded the capacity of the modest Grape Street building and the school was moved to 740 Wood Street. The teaching methods in use at the school had earned national recognition with educators from across the country visiting to observe classroom instruction.
In December of 1968, The Ellison Private Elementary School moved to its present two and a half acre site at 1017 South Spring Road. An addition housing two new classrooms and an office area was completed in 1978 and a further addition of four new classrooms plus a large multi-purpose room was finished in the summer of 1981. Seventh and eighth grades were added in the 1983 – 1984 school year and preschool and nursery classes were added shortly after. The school was further expanded in 1991 with the addition of three upper school classrooms, a gym, and kitchen facilities.
Our personalized approach to teaching and learning helps us to get to know well each and every one of our students. Ellison’s commitment to educating the individual and the whole child, in a developmentally appropriate manner, makes their school day relevant as well as fun. Through rigorous curriculum and instruction, individualized mentoring, and interpersonal relationships, Ellison faculty and staff lead our students to develop intellectual and emotional courage ensuring our graduates are strongly competitive with peers upon entering the high school of their choice.
At Ellison, we provide students with the tools to become life-long learners, complete with necessary skill sets and attitudes that render them adaptable and capable of overcoming any obstacle and ultimately to be ready for anything.